Career Aptitude Tests – A smart choice for students
For many students there’s nothing more confusing, exhilarating and frightening – all at the same time – than trying to decide on a career. It’s about finding a career that you are passionate about and not about something you’ll be just good at. The options are limitless but most of the students are clueless and confused about choosing the right career option. That is when career aptitude tests help students to narrow down their choices and get their career kick-started in a correct direction by discovering their hidden natural talents.
When everything around us is going online, career choices cannot lag behind. Career aptitude tests also have replaced the good old ways, where a student had to depend on a career counsellor by engaging in detailed discussions. The days, when a student gave cumbersome aptitude tests and relied solely on a career counsellor to help interpret the scores, are gone. These are the days of online career aptitude tests that are dependable, effective and capable of helping the studentsmake correct decisions about their careers. These career tests are tools designed to help students select your first career, or a better fitting career in case they do not like the career they have chosen already.
These testsare designed for students to assess their interests and choicesabout their careers. They offer the students a thought-provoking look at themselves, providing information about what actually stimulates and interests them. Moreover, suggestions are provided for particular careers that are well-suited to the students along with some information about these careers.
Many of these career tests will ask you a sequence of questions and depending on the answers you provide, they will provide a list of careers that match your interests. Of course, no test would tell you the single best career for you. But a list of most suitable career choices will be provided. From these short-listed choices, you can narrow down your final choice by following the elimination process – discarding choices that are least suitable for you and then doing research on the rest that closely match your interest and skills.
Every candidate should remember that it is vital to recognise the difference between subject you choose at college as a ‘major’and your future career. While ‘major’ is the subject of most of your classes, a career is the professionyou would finally engage yourself with in your working years. Having said that, it is obvious that a person choosing to study law would eventually become a lawyer and a student choosing biology would get into the career related to that field. But this may never be a permanent decision taken by the student at the time of choosing it and there is always a possibility that the student can, at some point, change his mind.So, in case of such major change decisions, students need to do an assessment of their skills and needs by figuring out what works for them and what doesn’t. For example, a student who has chosen to study Law but may not exactly like to become an advocate in the court. He could be more interested in taking part in debates or group discussions instead of going to the court on a daily basis. He may have realised this aspect later in life after choosing to study Law. Such a student, by taking a career aptitude test, can discover an array of other possibilities where his skills and passion can be put to correct use and can co-exist.
Let us take a look at how these tests actually help students to choose their dream career:
- If you are still in high school and are looking for the right stream and subject combination so that it helps you to recognise the career you are passionate about, then taking these aptitude tests could help you by providing ranking for thosenumerous streams in the class you are in.
- Online tests can be taken in the comfort of your home and in your privacy which not only saves time but also money and efforts. The main advantage is the conceptual comfort and clarity of thoughts that you experience when you have discretion to choose your career.
- Unlike in the case of personal counsellor, here you are not limited to one counsellor or a few counsellors around your location of stay.
- After you finish your high school, taking a career aptitude test can help you find an appropriate course that suits your current aptitude and personality profile.
- Let say that half way into your graduation, it dawns on you that you made a wrong career choice. Even during such perplexing times, a career aptitude test helps you change the academic course and put you on the career path that is right for you. They enable you to rate your skill level for attributes like logic, management, people, and communication and so on.
In summary, career aptitude tests are designed to discover the skills, abilities and talents of candidates who take them and focus on their strengths and limitations. The results can be useful in helping candidates to choose a career that is in tune not only with their passion but also with their goals and talents. These tests have proven to successfully introduce more career options to the individuals who have taken them and increase chances of making a dream career by suggesting a suitable career plan and increase the understanding of one’s own capabilities.
About the Author:
Renu Kishor, works as Content Analyst @CareerGuide.com. Beside her work she also has a keen interest in counseling students to take the right stride towards achieving their career goals. She like to write, listen to music besides travelling to exotic locations